Saturday, March 27, 2010

Painting Process Photos cont.

Here are a few more images of the painting process. I'm changing things as I go, getting a feel for the paint on this casting. It's much smoother than the first board I made because it was poured into a mold so I have to handle the paint differently. I think it's coming along nicely though. A lot has changed between these photos and the last ones.

That far shot looks nice. The board is very sturdy in that wooden frame but I'm still unsure as to what to do with it. I've considered painting it that blue-violet color from the box, or maybe just plain black or white? There's also the option of staining it a natural wood color. One of the funnest parts to rework were the rocks and crashing ocean waters in this corner of the board. I've been using a heavy body acrylic medium to create peaks and crashes, then using watered down blues and whites to create the right effect. Looking very nice. Also, the space have been really fun to make. Using several coats of white/gray is a long process but they look very neat and graphic almost in contrast to the natural looking forms of the board. I really like that contrast. It's very interesting how you shift back and forth from reality and fantasy when looking at it.

The waterfalls and cave near the idol have been a lot of fun to work on. I always had a hard time looking at the water and fire coming down the chute there. So I decided the water should come from a cave mouth right below that area where the fireball comes down. I think it's looking good. just need to work a little bit more on the water and lava but I'm happy so far. Also, the whiteness in the rock I'm doing there I think relates more to a scorched rock, or something very absent of life. I'm working on new lava trail effects and still not sure about the smoldering pits. I've been making it look like lava under the surface but I'm not sure this makes sense. I suppose it doesn't have to of course...

Now I'm in the process of adding vegetation to the board! It really pulls everything together when you put that stuff on. I'll have to add some more images of that this weekend, I'm hoping to finish it very soon because there's someone already interested in it that I'd love to send it too ASAP!

I'm also in the process of making a mold of the idol. I wasn't planning on doing it, but things have changed so I'm trying to get a good mold from it. I've taped the seam shut and closed off the negative space in the back and front. The latex rubber I'm using goes on in several layers to produce a good form for repeating castings. I'll have to make the main part a two-piece mold after it's finished to release it properly, but that's ok. More about that later, wish me luck with it! I think it could turn out incredible with some good painted effects on it.

No comments: